weirdcombos kitchen remodel update: now we’re talking!

weirdcombos kitchen remodel update: now we’re talking!: "

Since our last update, the kitchen has really come along. The cabinets are all installed with only some minor pieces missing (shelves in one of them, so I guess not that minor, and those cool door stoppers that prevent slamming for about half of them). The bamboo floor is in, minus the finishing molding. I painted the whole thing. The countertop folks have come to measure everything, so the new counters are on the way. The electrician plans on finishing the lighting in the next few days. We’ve scheduled the plumber for round one: to fix and connect the leaking water line to the refrigerator ice maker. So more or less, things are on track.



this looks more like a kitchen

this looks more like a kitchen





here's the beast behaving in the new kitchen

here's the beast behaving in the new kitchen



We think that it is looking fantastic, especially by comparison to the old one. I can’t believe how much storage space there is now! And the light colors really make it seem large.


We’ve still to figure out the tile backsplash, but hopefully that’s it.


Wow.


I never thought that this day would come.



I'm especially enchanted with the glass doors

I'm especially enchanted with the glass doors




some of the upper cabinets

some of the upper cabinets




It hasn’t been totally problem free. The cabinet installers accidentally punctured a hot water line behind one wall that had to be repaired ASAP. And it has been psychologically draining for all of us, though Hegui and me more than Clarence. The worst part, aside from the dreadful inconvenience, has been all the dust. That coupled with the springtime pollens, Clarence’s dander and not really being able to do much housekeeping for a month has sent my allergies into overdrive. I’m sneezing constantly, have runny eyes, headaches and now stomach upset from all the toxic allergy medications that I’ve been ingesting on a regular basis. Poor me, I know!

Sometime soon we should be kitchen-ready. For now we can enjoy the new microwave oven and the old, full stove and ovens. That is real progress. Running water remains a dream, but has suddenly become a realistic one. So until the next update.



another view of the new cabinets

another view of the new cabinets



PrintFriendly





"

Comments