Cardboard Children: Heroquest & More..

Cardboard Children: Heroquest & More..:



Hello youse.


Today I am going to write a column purely from memory. It will be riddled with mistakes, and there will be places where you say “He’s wrong on that. We got him. We got the sumbitch.” I ask your forgiveness in these places, and ask you to just go with it. I also beg your patience, because I have my reasons for writing this today.


I’ve been thinking a lot about games lately, and why they matter to us. Why, specifically, they matter to men and women in their thirties and older. I’ve been thinking that it isn’t just about the experience of “play” for us – it’s also about making a connection with our past. I’m not suggesting games are a nostalgia trip – it’s nothing as simple as that. I’m saying that games open a door to that unique place we all existed in when we were young. That memory palace with the Long Summer Days Wing and the Secret Place Where No-One Can Find Us attic space.


Today I’ll remember a few of the board games of our youth inaccurately. Come with me.

(more…)




Comments