The Interwebs turned 20; and we reminisce!

The Interwebs turned 20; and we reminisce!: "

According to Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the first website was born in August 6, 1991 making it 20 years old yesterday (I missed the bday bash), when I was still in high school and learning how to use Lotus 123 and Sidekick.


In 1996, our access to the college campus internet was limited to something like 20 hours (or was it 40?) per semester so the only thing I was able to do was send out emails via Pine until I found out about Yahoo.



But it wasn’t until sometime in 1999 when I created my first website from scratch — a personal website with a resume which I submitted to trabaho.com. Then there was Geocities, Angelfire and Hypermart. It was actually in Hypermart where the first YugaTech website was started (in 2000 and I think you can still see it in the Web Archive).


I didn’t like chatting but mIRC was hugely popular. I only saw the need for it when we were downloading MP3s.


Ok, it’s now your turn to share how you first met the Interwebs, and contributed to it.




Related posts:

  1. Pinoy Top Blogs just turned 2!

  2. RIP: Geocities, 1995-2009

  3. Flipboard: Social Network turned e-Magazine

  4. Bong Austero is 2nd Filipino blogger-turned-columnist

  5. Google 2001 Search



"

Comments