Is Embroidery Hip (again)?

Is Embroidery Hip (again)?:



I was raised with two sisters who are very crafty – particularly with knitting, sewing and embroidery.


When I was growing up our walls were filled with frame after frame of needlepoint houses, embroidered kitties, and cross-stitched owls. I completed my fair share of those kits they sell at craft stores too, but to be honest somewhere along the way my affection for this art form has diminished.


With the rising popularity of Suzani, the concept of needlework has become much more acceptable. But textiles are quite different than embroidered and framed farm houses any way you look at it. But thanks to the creativity of several artists, I would say embroidery may well be finding its way back into the hip-cycle.


Above, and below, artist Daniel Kornrumpf is making a name for himself embroidering portraits people have posted on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. I love the impressionist spin he takes on these.



Yes, you’ve probably seen this collection of needlepoint pillows Jonathan Adler has reintroduced into the American lexicon of decorating. If anyone else tried this I doubt they’d get very far, but in JA’s decidedly cool hands they work!



These last three pieces are by etsy artist MoxieDoll and I love the fun graphic feel these offer. Sold in their hoops I would love to see these grouped like plates on a wall.






Post to Twitter



Comments