Review: Razer Gaming Mats – Goliathus, Scarab and Ironclad

Review: Razer Gaming Mats – Goliathus, Scarab and Ironclad:


Razer sent us three of their gaming mats to try and compare how each performs under different circumstances. We got the Goliathus Extended Edition, Scarab and the Ironclad. These are from the Elite, Expert and Essential lines respectively.


Razer gaming mats


These gaming mats are engineered to deliver pinpoint accuracy and of course comfort for the long hours of gaming. We have three different flavors of gaming mats from Razer and I’m sure there’s one that’ll suit your gaming needs.


Razer Goliathus Extended Edition



  • Textured weave

  • Desktop Length: 920mm x 294mm x 3mm (It covers my whole desk)

  • Rubber base for a secure grip on smooth surfaces

  • Php1,620


Razer Goliathus Razer Goliathus


I can attest that expensive does not necessarily mean it’s better. This one is the most affordable of the three, and yet this is the one I like with its awesome looking graffiti of the Razer Logo. Since it’s a soft mat, I can just roll it up and bring it anywhere I want. The textured weave is just right for my gaming use, it’s not too smooth for my mouse to be sliding around much, and not too rough for my palm. The rubberized base is also great as the pad won’t slide around all over my smooth table.


This is definitely a bang-for-the-buck gaming mat. The control edition lives up to its name whether I’m playing low-sensitivity sniper camping or high-sensitivity rifle rampage, I find the control over my mouse very accurate.













Pros:Cons:


  • Just the right texture

  • Portable

  • Affordable




  • Might be too big for some desks (but hey, Razer offers the Goliathus in 4 different sizes)



Razer Scarab



  • Razer Fractal 2.0 surface coating

  • Hard Mouse Mat

  • 350mm x 250mm x 3mm (Almost the same size as my 14" laptop)

  • Php1,850


razer scarab razer scarab


The Razer Scarab is from the Expert line of gaming accessories, which means it has a good balance of price and performance. This one is a hard mat which you can use if you have an uneven surface especially when you like gaming in bed. It has the Fractal 2.0 Surface and comes with a carrying case.


The surface is a bit rough, and I don’t like the feeling when I game with it especially when I’m playing at low-sensitivity. I think this is more aimed to high sensitivity players as it gives a bit of friction to when you move the mouse in big swipes. When considering buying the Scarab, you can check the case because it has a little window where you can feel how the mouse pad feels like. Accuracy is good if you’re playing with high sensitivity, not so much when going low-sens.













Pros:Cons:


  • Rubberized base for better grip

  • Rough surface for high-sensitivity players

  • Has a carrying case




  • Not for low sensitivity players



Razer Ironclad



  • Anodized Aluminum Body

  • Non-slip Rubber Base

  • Ultra-smooth sandblasted speed surface

  • 350mm x 250mm x 2.5mm

  • Php2,780


razer ironclad razer ironclad razer ironclad


The Razer Ironclad is most expensive of the three but is one of the best gaming mats I’ve ever used. The surface is smooth and very accurate to the millimeter that my mouse just glides along with ease on this pad. I’d definitely recommend it if you’re a hardcore FPS or RTS gamer. It comes with a hard carrying case which is almost as heavy as my 14" laptop. The anodized aluminum body gives it reinforced strength and durability which I’m sure will be able to handle hours upon hours of your gaming experience.













Pros:Cons:


  • Smooth surface and very accurate tracking

  • Durable

  • Non-slip rubber base

  • Hard carrying case




  • Less portability as the case is too heavy)

  • Pricey for a gaming pad



Overview:


Razer gaming mats


Razer offers different gaming mats for different kinds of gamers. I’m sure you’ll be able to find one that best suits your taste may it be a soft mat, hard mat, rough mat or smooth mat. The Goliathus if you’re on a budget. I’d recommend the Scarab if you play high-sens and have some moolah. Of course the Ironclad if you’re a hardcore gamer and wants to be on top of your game.


Editor’s note: This post is contributed by Andrei Lim with some slight revisions by the editor. Andrei was born with a game controller in his hand, started gaming at the age of 6 when he first got his NES and SNES. He has beaten a lot of games and continues this legacy with his gaming rig.


Comments