JP Morgan's Bad Bet on Derivatives Is Not an Isolated Case

JP Morgan's Bad Bet on Derivatives Is Not an Isolated Case:
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The consensus on Wall Street in Friday's trading was that the $2 billion loss in derivatives trading at JP Morgan is an isolated situation, and that the stock was a buy on share price weakness. At ValuEngine, we have JP Morgan rated a hold, as it was before CEO Jamie Dimon's confessional. JP Morgan's chief investment officer in London is nicknamed the "London Whale" and he started to feel the harpoon well before the U.S.'s biggest bank reported quarterly results earlier in the quarter.

The first ever mortgage-backed derivative was a collateralized mortgage obligation (CMO) created in 1983 by Salomon Brothers and First Boston for Freddie Mac. I was heading the Government Bond Department at LF Rothschild at the time and we were in the Selling Group. I am an engineer by education with a Master of Science in Operations Research, Systems Analysis, and as the use of CMOs exploded I was skeptical that the mathematical models that created even more complex structures could be trusted long term.

Fast forward to 2005. This was when I began to focus on the housing market and banking system. In 2006, I began to study the FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile (QBP) which I consider the balance sheet of the U.S. economy. Here's where I found the data that helped me predict the decline of community banks at the end of 2006 and the decline of regional banks in February 2007. In analyzing each QBP I have been tracking the trends in key risk categories that continue to plague the banking system today including derivatives....
Click to view a price quote on JPM.
Click to research the Banking industry.

Comments