Australia's Guides drop Queen and God from pledge

Australia's Guides drop Queen and God from pledge:


Republicans delighted at the change in wording, which organisation says is 'to reflect multicultural society'
Australia's Guides have dropped any reference to the Queen or God in their "promise", delighting republicans and drawing ire from monarchists.
Instead of promising to "do my duty to God, to serve the Queen and my country", Guides will now promise to "be true to myself and to serve my community and Australia".
Belinda Allen, director of Girl Guides Australia, said the change followed extensive consultation over 18 months.
"Many of the members didn't feel that with our multicultural community of people from 200 nations that it was necessarily relevant for the Queen to be mentioned," she said.
"We're open to girls from all cultures, backgrounds and faiths and we listened to our membership before we made the change."
The "promise" is a pledge that Guides make soon after they join.
Republicans have welcomed the move, saying it's a natural step.
"We've been on a journey for the past few decades of redefining ourselves and community organisations are going through that process too," said David Morris, national director of the Australian Republican Movement.
"I think we can all agree that our commitment is to this country and it can be a very inclusive thing, including respect for individuals who have a close connection to another country."
However, the Australian Monarchist League (AML) said the move was a backward step.
"The Queen is the Queen of Australia and our head of state and with this change the Girl Guides are now telling their children that they need have no regard for the institutions of our governance," said Philip Benwell, national chair for the AML.
"I think it's deplorable and if there are republicans within the Guiding movement then they should work towards promoting a republic rather than trying to introduce one by stealth," he said.
The Australian Cub Scout promise gives children the option of including the Queen or not. In the first version, children promise "to do my duty to my God and to Australia". The second version allows them to promise to "do my duty to my God and the Queen of Australia".
All federal members of parliament must swear an oath or affirmation of allegiance when being sworn into office, as set out by the constitution.
Both require parliamentarians to "be faithful and bear true allegiance to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors according to law".
Australia rejected a referendum on becoming a republic in 1999 by a margin of 55% to 45%. The referendum asked whether Australia should become a republic with a president appointed by parliament. Republicans say it was worded in such a way that confused a lot of people and the country was divided on how to choose a head of state.
Since 1994, Australia's citizenship pledge has not included any mention of the Queen. Instead new citizens must pledge loyalty to "Australia and its people".
Becoming a republic has not been an issue in the public arena of late. An opinion poll in 2010 showed Australians to be roughly evenly divided on the issue.
At the same time as removing the Queen from their promise, the Guides will also remove the reference to God. "Our members feel very strongly that we are open to girls of all faiths and our indigenous belief systems do not have a god, so we feel that this new promise will be more inclusive," Allen said.


The old promise:

I promise that I will do my best:
to do my duty to God, to serve the
Queen and my country;
to help other people; and
to keep the Guide Law.

The new promise:

I promise that I will do my best
To be true to myself and develop my beliefs
To serve my community and Australia
And live by the Guide Law





guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds



Comments